Monday, November 3, 2008

Mad Cow

Bovines are excruciatingly irritating to draw. Their anatomy is boxy and odd and makes little sense. Sadly, I have been forced to draw many cows in my young life, as a result of several illustration assignments. So now I draw them from time to time as a form of practice/self-flagellation. I like G. K. Chesterton's solution for drawing cows--draw something else: "Do not, for heaven's sake, imagine I was going to sketch from Nature. I was going to draw devils and seraphim, and blind old gods that men worshipped before the dawn of right, and saints in robes of angry crimson, and seas of strange green, and all the sacred or monstrous symbols that look so well in bright colors on brown paper. They are much better worth drawing than Nature; also they are much easier to draw. When a cow came slouching by in the field next to me, a mere artist might have drawn it; but I always get wrong in the hind legs of quadrupeds. So I drew the soul of a cow; which I saw there plainly walking before me in the sunlight; and the soul was all purple and silver, and had seven horns and the mystery that belongs to all beasts."

1 comment:

Davey Morrison Dillard said...

I like G. K. Chesterton. And cows. Is that allowed? That quote reminds me of the beginning of The Importance of Being Earnest.