Tuesday, March 31, 2009

NPR

NPR called me and asked me to contribute to their 2010 (10th Anniversary) wall calendar! I'm really thrilled about this project! NPR is one of my favorite things, and a dream client. In the past, they've featured incredible illustrators like Brad Holland, Gary Kelley, Red Nose Studio, etc. So I feel really honored to have been chosen this year.

These are the sketches I sent, in random order, with little concept descriptions. One of them was chosen to appear in the final calendar. Can you guess which one?


#1: NPR takes you on a voyage of discovery. The penguins and polar bears are friends because NPR allows us to see everyone's viewpoint and realize what we have in common.
#2: Listener-supported NPR requires care and love from it's devoted listeners in order to produce a beautiful NPR-flower.
#3: By listening and speaking with one another, as NPR facilitates, we create ourselves and each other and see the world in new ways.
#4: Listening together we can combine our diverse abilities into a symphony of NPR-beauty.
#5: This one is based on the idea of the "driveway moment," combined with the idea of NPR bringing diverse ideas/groups together. The tiger and antelope are so enthralled with the story they're hearing that they put their death-struggle on hold until it's over.
#6: NPR takes us to places we couldn't reach otherwise. It also brings together diverse groups (i.e. fish/birds).
#7: NPR brings us together. And yetis are cool.

Stay tuned to see which one was chosen!
And thanks again, NPR, for this great opportunity!

4 comments:

K Cummings said...

These are great. I hope they choose the death struggle!

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

Wow! Congrats Steve! What an honor. I vote #1 or #6. :)

jenaprn08 said...

I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see which one appeals to them. I would have a hard time picking my favorite.

Sharae Peterson said...

Congratulations steve that is so awesome!!! Love the picture they picked, love all the other ones as well you are getting so good!!