Thursday, September 20, 2007

Winnie-the-Pooh

This cover was a bit intimidating, since the Winnie-the-Pooh characters are such icons. I attempted to interpret them in my own way, but without being too different-for-the-sake-of-being-different. In rereading the book, I found the characters much more vivid and sharp than I remembered them. Eeyore, in particular, is very bitter and self-absorbed. And for some reason, Pooh's voice (in my head as I read) began to sound like Orson Welles. I also discovered, while creating this image, that I share a birthday with the original Winnie-the-Pooh illustrator, Ernest Shepard.

5 comments:

helen said...

I've looked at your blogsite and website and am hugely impressed by your talent and the vast amount of work you have produced that is worthy of publication. This is yet another excellent example.

Eugenia Gina said...

I widely smile looking at your pooh character.. :D it's so funny, and yes it is very hard imajininga new pooh character.., I understand the difficulties :D

Kathleen Rietz said...

You're awesome, Steve! I love the original Pooh characters, but the ones you have come up with are so sweet....I love your version too.

Davey Morrison Dillard said...

i love the winnie the pooh books so dang much. and, yeah, orson welles as pooh is crazy and would've been really great (much as i love sterling holloway in the disney shorts). u r a freeking gud artist bro. i like all the pictures i hadn't seen yet (the most recent six or seven), and all the ones i have too.

Tali said...

this is a great interpretation of the characters! Indeed, it must've been hard to come up with a new look for such recognizable characters. Great job.
i love these books.